- Number of calls Knoxville/Knox County dispatch received related to domestic violence per year:
- During this period, the calls that dispatch has received each year related to domestic violence has equated to one call every thirty (30) minutes.
- The number of victims served by the Knoxville Family Justice Center per year:
- The number of concluded Orders of Protection filed in Fourth Circuit Court in Knox County per year in a five (5) year period:
- 1 in 4 women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
- 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.
- Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence (IPV).
- Almost 1/3 of female homicide victims that are reported in police records are killed by an intimate partner.
Children & Domestic Violence:
- Witnessing violence between one’s caretakers is the strongest risk factor of transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next.
- 30-60% of perpetrators of intimate partner violence also abuse children in the household.
- The cost of IPV exceeds $5.8 billion each year; $4.1 billion is spent on health and mental health care.
- Victims of IPV lost almost 8 million days of paid work (equivalent to more than 32,000 full-time jobs or almost 5.6 million days of household productivity).
- 1/12 U.S. women and 1/45 U.S. men have been stalked at some point in their lives.
- 13% of college women were stalked during the school year.
- 77% of female victims and 64% of male victims know their stalker.
- 81% of women stalked by an intimate have been physically assaulted by that person.
- 31% of women stalked by an intimate have been sexually assaulted by that person.
- 76% of intimate partner femicide (murder) victims had been stalked by their intimate partner.
- 1/5 teens in a serious relationship report having been hit, slapped, or pushed by a partner.
- 14% of teens report having been threatened with physical harm, either to them or self-inflicted by their partner, to avoid a breakup.
- 1/10 teens have been verbally or physically abused by a boy/girlfriend who was drunk or high.
- 51% of college males admit perpetrating one or more sexual assault incidents during college.
- American Bar Association: Commission on Domestic Violence
- Battered Women’s Justice Project
- Bobbie Crews artwork
- Cease DV Program in Hamblen & Claiborne Counties
- Community Health of East TN DV Program in Campbell, Union, Scott, Fentress, & Claiborne Counties
- Corporate Alliance to End Domestic Violence
- Dating Violence
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Programs
- Externalities in the Classroom: How Children Exposed to Domestic Violence Affect Everyone’s Kids
- Haven House DV Program in Blount & Monroe Counties
- Jackie Campbell Danger Assessment
- Love Is Respect
- Love Is Not Abuse
- National Family Justice Center
- National Family Justice Center Directory
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- National Network to End Domestic Violence
- National Center for Victims of Crime
- Safespace DV Program in Sevier, Cocke and Jefferson Counties
- State of Tennessee
- TN Bureau of Investigations, Crime Statistics Unit
- The Center for Court Innovation